Sunday, March 20, 2011

Raw Energy Bars

This afternoon, I made a mistake of not bringing my own food out.  So when I turned from being hungry to famished during lunchtime, I did not hesitate to wolf down a plate of vegetarian fried rice at my relative's house.  Plus a few pieces of fried mini potato puffs.

This should never happen again. 

To celebrate my lesson learnt, I have decided to make myself some delicious raw energy bars to take on the run in the future.  Like when I am in a hurry and unable to pack a small salad before I leave my house.   

Ingredients
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Flax seeds
  • Deri dates
I love raw and nutritious energy bars!
Grind all the ingredients in a food processor and use your hand to mix them further in a bowl.  The 'batter' is very malleable so you can wrap it up in a plastic cling wrap and then mould it into the shape that you want.  For me, I made a few long bars, not unlike those commercial ones.  Place your energy bars into the freezer until they harden.  Alternatively, you can dehydrate them to obtain a dry and crispy texture.  I didn't try that because I was too lazy to assemble my dehydrator, but I thought it was certainly a feasible idea to play with in future.

See the big piece of energy bar in the foreground?  I used apricots in place of Deri dates, and added cashew nuts as well.  It tasted less sweet than those made from dates, but was just as satisfying.  I think when you eliminate refined sugars from your diet, all types natural sugars appeal to your tastebuds whether they are intense or not.  Sweet is not just sweet, because natural sweetness has its own unique character.

No comments:

Post a Comment