Friday, March 18, 2011

Homemade dark chocolate

I am a girl.  I love chocolate.  Especially dark chocolate.  This isn't primarily a health blog, but I thought I should share with you what I have found out about commercial dark chocolates, even those of reputable brands from Switzerland.  Most unfortunately, it applies to some organic brands of dark chocolate, which you would have thought are supposed to be healthier than non-organic ones.

Dark chocolates are supposed to be the healthiest type of chocolate around.  Or so I thought, until I learnt that what I was ingesting contained more than just a high dose of antioxidants from cocoa.  Let me show you what I mean using the brands I have always loved. 

From the chart, it is pretty clear that the most offensive brand is Frey, one of those beloved chocolate manufacturers from Switzerland! 

Sugar
I know sugar is important in lending sweetness to an otherwise heavy bitterness in dark chocolates.  But when you read 'sugar' in the list of ingredients, the word itself is extremely vague.  You don't know what type of sugar was used in the production of the dark chocolate.  Was it refined white sugar?  Demerara (brown) sugar?  Or...in my worst fears, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)?  Cheaper and sweeter than cane sugar, it is one of the most common toxins used in processed foods, even seemingly healthy ones like yoghurts and granola bars. 

Butterfat
Its presence indicates adulteration which compromises the quality of the dark chocolate.  Butterfat is used to make the dark chocolate softer and hasten its melting in the mouth.  It is cheaper than cocoa butter, and thus, its use lowers the cost of production of the dark chocolate.  Frey's production of dark chocolates is perhaps, more frayed than I can imagine.

Flavour
Look at the word 'flavour' too.  I cannot conjure an image in my mind because I really cannot imagine the vast arrays of artificial flavours humans can invent.

Soya lecithin
Lecithin is used as an emulsifier in chocolates, which makes them viscous and thick in consistency.  Even though the food industry claims it is safe, it is an additive.  An additive is an additive is an additive.  It never existed before industrialisation.  Can I believe it is really safe?

If they looked good to you, they tasted just as good to me as well!
Ingredients
  • Unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Raw carob powder
  • Dessicated grated coconut (for interesting texture)
  • Extra-virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
  • Very small amount of Sucanat (or any other kind of natural sweetener you desire)
Mix all the ingredients together to form a thick and viscous batter, which resembles melted dark chocolate.  Pour the mixture in a mould and place in the freezer for about an hour to set the chocolate.  One key ingredient I like to emphasize here is the EVCO, because it is liquid at room temperature and solidifies at much lower temperatures in the refrigerator.  This characteristic allows your dark chocolate mixture to set. 

Another thing I like to highlight is that using both cocoa and carob is unnecessary.  I used carob because it added a hint of its unique sweetness that cocoa lacked.  If you aren't familiar with carob, it is frequently used to substitute cocoa in many recipes as a caffeine and fat-free alternative.  (Raw carob powder can be bought at some shops selling organic products.  I bought mine from Organic Paradise at Cuppage Plaza.)  You can use either ingredient in your own mixture.  Or experiment using both ingredients in varying ratios.    

From the picture, you can see that I have sprinkled some sunflower seeds for decoration.  Of course, if you love nuts and raisins, feel free to incorporate them into your dark chocolate mixture.  Or you can have it plain.  Either way, you know what goes into your own dark chocolate, and its taste (and nutritional value) can never be on par with those commercial ones.

3 comments:

  1. hey zhiru, janine here :)

    really salute you for going vegan and raw! i've always wanted to try it out but have never been able to let go of eggs and meat.

    anyway, your homemade dark chocolate looks absolutely yummy! when we next meet up, do bring some - i'd love to try it :D

    ps: EVCO is pretty ex no? I rmber seeing it being sold at over $30 at organic stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you janine!=D i will definitely remember to bring along my choc when we do meet up next time, hehe

    ps. EVCO is not expensive if u know where to get it. for example, i got mine at 16.50 SGD for a 850 g bottle at a website called http://www.iherb.com. of course, you won't get it immediately as it has to be shipped. generally, some stuff are cheaper online than at local stores

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh okay i see :)

    i'll probably get it after i get my ass down to buying the ground flaxseed! i've been wanting to try your waffle recipe but haven't had the time to source for all those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete