Saturday, March 12, 2011

Goji mushroom millet salad

I love to eat raw salads, but my body is ill-suited to eating them at every meal, every day.  There are times when I crave for something warm and hearty but don't want to miss out raw greens.  This afternoon was one such instance, and I prepared myself a warm salad, comprising cooked millet served with raw baby spinach leaves.  To infuse an earthly flavour to the millet, I stewed it in mushroom broth and then sprinkled a handful of Goji berries for a dash of delicate sweetness.  The result?  A simple but nourishing lunch on a cold, windy afternoon.

Ingredients
  • Raw baby spinach greens
  • 3 tbsp hulled millet (sufficient to fill up a petite girl like me)
  • 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
  • 1 red onion (sliced)
  • 2 medium-sized portobello mushrooms (substitute with other mushrooms if you wish, Shitake mushrooms are a good alternative)  
  • Goji berries
  • Extra-virgin oil coconut oil (can use other healthy types of vegetable oil)
  • 2-3 tsp soy sauce (adjust accordingly to taste)
  • Water
Cook your millet separately while you prepare your mushroom broth.  Heat the oil in the wok, and add garlic and onion to stir-fry.  Then add some water to keep them cooking as the oil dries up fast.  This is to allow their flavours to permeate into the broth before adding the mushrooms.  Once you are satisfied with the broth, add your millet which should be moderately moist to facilitate its mixing into the broth.  Simmer it for a while before sprinkling with Goji berries and spraying with soy sauce for taste.  I left Goji berries to the last step because I didn't want them to be too soft (and they typically turn soft fast!).  Serve with raw baby spinach greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment