Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Buckwheat waffles

Waffles are one of my favourite comfort foods.  Before I started on semi-raw veganism, I loved those waffles from bakeries like Prime Deli, despite knowing they contained high levels of refined sugar and flour.  I can never stress enough how unhealthy such a combination is.  It is more than just the empty calories you eat, because these calories are highly likely to stick onto your intestinal walls and feed the bad microbes and their burgeoning colonies.  A yucky thought, isn't it?

To avoid the tragic combination of refined sugar and all-purpose white flour, I have used buckwheat flour and very minimal brown sugar instead. 

Buckwheat flour
Despite what its name suggests, buckwheat is NOT a type of wheat at all, but in fact, a type of seed.  As such, buckwheat can be eaten by people who are gluten-intolerant.  Although buckwheat sounds foreign to many of us, it has been an integral part of many Asian diets.  For example, the popular Japanese soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour.   

Brown sugar    
Though brown sugar is a healthier alternative, it is still a processed, un-raw type of sugar.  Truly unprocessed, raw sugar is made up of larger and rougher granules, which people typically call Sucanat.  I have seen supermarkets like NTUC Finesse and Cold Storage selling Sucanat.  I would have much preferred using Sucanat to make my own waffles, but I was answering a sudden craving for something sweet and dense so I had no choice but to use brown sugar.

Ingredients
  • Buckwheat flour
  • Egg replacer (1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal to 3 tbsp water)
  • Nut milk
  • Very small amount of brown sugar (optional)
  • Ground cinnamon (optional) 
Mix all the ingredients to form the batter of smooth and appropriately thick consistency.  How I estimated whether my batter was good enough was by dipping a fork in and using the dripping fork to draw a figure of eight on its surface.  If you don't have a waffle maker, you can always use the batter to make pancakes instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment